Contact Us
Greenwich Daily Voice serves Greenwich, CT
Return to your home site


Greenwich Daily Voice serves Greenwich, CT
police & fire

80-Year-Old New Jersey Man Identified As Victim In Cos Cob Harbor Accident

Police have released the name of the New Jersey man who died after driving into Cos Cob Harbor on Monday afternoon. Photo Credit: Greenwich Police Department via Twitter
Police have released the name of the man who died after driving into Cos Cob Harbor Monday afternoon. Photo Credit: File

GREENWICH, Conn. — The elderly man who died when his minivan slid into Cos Cob Harbor has been identified as Patrick Conroy, 80, of Wall Township, N.J., Greenwich Police said Tuesday.

At 1:30 p.m. Monday, Conroy drove a 2016 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan off the side of the Cos Cob Marina public boat launch into 12 feet of water, police said.

He could not free himself from the vehicle as it sank, police said.

Conroy, along with members of his close family, had taken two vehicles to the Cos Cob Marina to launch the family boat onto Long Island Sound, police said.

One vehicle was an SUV with the family boat in tow, police said. The other was a minivan operated by Conroy, police said.

Conroy’s adult son backed the SUV down the boat ramp while Conroy began to move the minivan into a parking spot, police said.

Conroy, who was the only occupant of the minivan, began to perform a three-point turn on the flat driveway leading up to the boat ramp, Greenwich Police said.

The minivan then went nose first off the north side of the ramp and onto the seawall, where it was temporarily lodged on the rocks, police said.

Conroy’s son immediately ran to the minivan and attempted to remove his father, but the vehicle slipped into the water and sank between the seawall and the south docks, police said.

This narrow waterway within the harbor is about 10- to 12-feet deep at high tide, Greenwich Police said.

Conroy’s son dove into the water to attempt to rescue his father and was still in the water when police and fire personnel arrived, police said.

A dozen first responders from the Fire and Police departments with limited equipment attempted to rescue Conroy, who was trapped, police said.

About 10 minutes later, the Sound Beach Volunteer Fire Department Scuba Team arrived and were able to extricate Conroy from the van, police said.

His medical care was turned over to Greenwich Emergency Medical Services personnel, and Conroy was transported to the Greenwich Hospital.

Conroy was pronounced deceased shortly after arrival at Greenwich Hospital.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Greenwich Daily Voice!

Get the news you need to know on the go.

Welcome to

Greenwich Daily Voice!

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.