The Coast Guard suspended its search Friday morning for a possible person in the water following the report of an unmanned adrift paddleboard approximately a quarter mile southwest of Calf Island.
The search began Thursday evening when watchstanders at Coast Guard Sector Long Island Sound received notification of the white and blue paddleboard with no identifiable markings, the Coast Guard said.
No one was reported missing or in distress in the area.
Assets included in the search:
- A 45-foot Response Boat-Medium from Coast Guard Eaton’s Neck
- A 29-foot Response Boat-Small from Coast Guard Eaton’s Neck
- An MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter from Coast Guard Air Station Cape Cod, Massachusetts
- An HC-144A Ocean Sentry aircraft from Coast Guard Air Station Cape Cod, Massachusetts
- The Greenwich Police Department
The Coast Guard’s search will remain suspended pending the development of new information, they added.
The Coast Guard advises the public to register and label all watercraft and equipment with contact information in order to quickly account for owners and prevent any unnecessary searches.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.