NEW CANAAN, Conn. — The New Canaan-based Whirlwind Diving team is eager to start its 17th season at Nov. 23-24 at the annual Lords of the Boards meet in Bridgewater, N.J.
The team trains at the New Canaan YMCA under the direction of head coach Joe Somma and new assistant coach Adam Vance. Vance arrived on deck this past September, joining Whirlwind from West Chester, Pa., where he was the head coach of the Westchester Diving Team.
Besides New Canaan, Whirlwind divers come from Greenwich, Stamford, Darien, Norwalk, Wilton, Weston and Easton.
Whirlwind Diving boasts an unprecedented seven returning high school All American Divers among its ranks, as well as 42 other Junior Olympic divers and many more athletes in the developmental program. Whirlwind currently is the reigning YMCA National Champion and USA Diving Region 1 Champion, and looks forward to defending these titles during the upcoming season.
“We’re really looking forward to this season,'' Somma said. "With our large group of returning divers, we have some amazing leadership on this year’s team that I think will make our team even stronger, and will help set a great example of teamwork and motivation for our younger divers.”
The annual Whirlwind Winter Weekend Invitational meet will be Feb. 7-9 at the New Canaan YMCA. To learn more about the Whirlwind Diving program, contact Somma at 203-966-4528, Ext. 159.
- 1 No Injuries Reported In Car Fire On Merritt Parkway In Greenwich
- 2 NYC Doctor Is First Person In The Tristate Area To Test Positive For Ebola
- 3 Two Convent Of The Sacred Heart Students Named National Merit Semifinalists
- 4 Billionaire Mario Gabelli Sells Greenwich Home For $10.3 Million
- 5 Greenwich Hospital Unveils Honor For Retiring CEO Frank Corvino