MAMARONECK, N.Y. – Mamaroneck resident and Iona Prep Grammar School student Matt Valecce earned a selection to the FBU National Championship All Connecticut Football team for seventh- and eighth-graders.
The team competed last weekend at the Brunswick School in Greenwich, Conn., in a national youth football single elimination tournament that featured 64 teams from all 50 states.
Valecce’s Connecticut team lost, 6-0, to the New York City team but won its consolation game, 36-14, against Long Island.
The teams that reach the semifinals play on Jan. 5 in San Antonio, Texas, and the championship takes place on Jan. 6 as part of the U.S. Army All-American Bowl week.
Valecce was one of two quarterbacks picked for the Connecticut team and was the only player chosen from New York.
From a submission by John Valecce
- 1 New Scam Showing Up On Facebook Could Cost You Lots Of Money
- 2 Passengers Stranded For Hours Overnight On Metro-North's New Haven Line
- 3 Rain Could Spoil July 4 Events, Celebrations In Greenwich
- 4 Jupiter, Venus Forming Unusual Sight In Greenwich Sky
- 5 Teen Killed After Being Hit By Car Crossing Road To Danbury Pizza Place