FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. – The Connecticut State Open cross country championships scheduled for Friday have been postponed until Sunday due to Hurricane Sandy. The girls race will begin at 2 p.m., and the boys race will begin at 2:45 p.m. at Wickham Park in Manchester.
The delay was announced Wednesday as the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference delayed the start of state tournaments in all fall sports.
Many Fairfield County teams are affected in cross country. Danbury’s boys and Ridgefield’s girls won the Class LL championships and are among the favorites in Sunday’s race. Staples’ Henry Wynne and Fairfield Warde’s Cate Allen won individual titles in Class LL and are also among the pre-race favorites.
Boys teams from Darien, Fairfield Warde, Fairfield Prep, Ridgefield, Staples and Weston will also run. Girls teams in Sunday’s race include Darien, Fairfield Warde, Immaculate, Westhill and Wilton. Several individuals from other schools will also race.
- 1 Threat Of Tick-Borne Diseases Serious, Growing In Fairfield, Says Report
- 2 Bear Drops In At Backyard, Country Club In Greenwich
- 3 Record Numbers Turn Out As Greenwich Throws Its Biggest Party
- 4 Obama's Fundraising Trip, Principal Mishap Top Week's News In Greenwich
- 5 Greenwich Comes Out To Party With Doobie Brothers, Earth Wind & Fire