GREENWICH, Conn. -- A ruptured radiator coil that closed Julian Curtiss School in Greenwich on Monday will force the school to remain closed on Tuesday as well, according to a district press release.
It was initially reported to be closed due to a water main break, however upon inspection of the school, the source was determined to be a radiator located in a second floor.
Closing the school will allow officials to conduct environmental testing of the affected areas.
District facilities staff are working with the town’s building department and the district contracted environmental hygienist to ensure that they have addressed all health and safety concerns before re-opening the building for students and staff.
The Superintendent will determine if the school can be re-opened on Wednesday, Jan. 8 by the end of the day Tuesday.
Two separate classrooms - a fifth grade and a first grade room - suffered significant water damage.
Students from the two impacted classrooms will be relocated within the building until after the winter recess in February. The abatement and reconstruction work of these two impacted classrooms will be conducted over the winter recess.
The rupture was discovered by the janitorial staff on Monday morning and is suspected to have happened sometime on Saturday night.
Any plans to make up the days missed this week will be established after the school is re-opened and the total number of days missed are known.
- 1 Westport Schools: Greenwich ‘Jumped the Gun’ On New Staples Principal
- 2 Tarrytown's Happy Rockefeller, Wife Of Late Nelson Rockefeller, Dies
- 3 Obama To Make Fundraising Stop In Stamford
- 4 Lyme Disease-Spreading Ticks Arriving Early In Fairfield County, Study Says
- 5 Beware Of Delays On Merritt In Greenwich During Obama's Visit