GREENWICH, Conn. -- A Greenwich High School trip planned for Germany in early April has been canceled after the recently deadly terror attacks in Belgium, the school district announced Wednesday.
"This decision has been made out of an abundance of caution and care for our students and staff," Superintendent of Schools William McKersie said in a statement. "Greenwich Public Schools will continue to sponsor domestic field trips, ensuring opportunities for growth and enrichment for our students."
He said that experts had advised the district to cancel the trip that had been planned for April 8 to April 17.
"Given Germany’s close proximity to recent terrorist attacks, the mode of transportation to be used throughout the trip and increased security checkpoints, experts advised us to cancel the trip to Germany," he said.
He said the district will work with the U.S. State Department and other agencies and hope to sponsor international trips in the next school year.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.