WILTON, Conn. -- More than 170 student debaters from 29 schools recently tackled the timely issue of Russia's recent aggression in Eastern Europe at the Connecticut Debate State Finals held at Wilton High School.
The topic forced debaters to change perspective, as they were required to debate from the point of view of Russian citizens. The debate topic was "Resolved: We (Russia) should actively seek to reincorporate those former Soviet territories with a substantial Russian population."
The varsity final round saw the Greenwich team of Nick Abbott and Rebecca Murray win the state championship on a 4-1 decision against the Fairfield Warde team of Brandon Campbell and Sara Murphy.
In the novice division, the Ridgefield team of Margaret Comer and Kate Lindenburg won top honors.
Check out the full results of the debate state finals below:
1. Greenwich, Nick Abbott and Rebecca Murray
2. Fairfield Warde, Brandon Campbell and Sara Murphy
3. New Canaan, Gita Abhiraman and Steven Singer
4. New Canaan, Ekaterina Dyakova and Casey Manzella
5. Wilton, Jeremy Brewer and Jack Kaelin
6. Pomperaug, Stephen Niesobecki and Colleen O’Sullivan
7. Ridgefield, Dani Blum and Chad Ballard
1. Greenwich, Nick Abbott
2. Wilton, George Mgaloblishvili
3. Simsbury, Kevin Gyurco
4. Simsbury, Matthew Smits
5. Trumbull, Michael Grischuk.
1. Ridgefield, Margaret Comer and Kate Lindenburg
2. Wilton, Kevin Collins and Harry Wendorff
3. Ridgefield, Amelia Hadar and Lauren Chakraborty
4. Pomperaug, Hannah Beilinson and Erin Dorsey
5. Stamford, Spencer Sigtryggsson and Narendran Krishna
6. Hamden, Aakshi Agarwal and Kayla Johnson
1. AITE (Stamford), Daniel Berger
2. Ridgefield, Kate Lindenburg
3. Wilton, Kevin Collins
4. Farmington, Allen Haugh
5. Wilton, Harry Wendorff
- 1 Shark Sightings Lead To Beach Closure On Long Island
- 2 Rye Brook Landlord Negotiates Settlement With D'Agostino's Supermarket
- 3 Greenwich Could See Storms As Weekend Wraps Up
- 4 Police ID Homeless Man Whose Legs Were Found Near New Haven Train Station
- 5 Conyers Farm Home In Greenwich Hits Market For $65 Million