updated: STAMFORD, Conn. -- A suspect is in custody in the slaying of a Stamford cab driver who was found stabbed to death on a lawn in the Westover section of the city Wednesday morning, police said.
The suspect is a 29-year-old Stamford man, the Daily Voice has learned.
Stamford police made the announcement overnight on their Facebook page. Police said more information would be released late Thursday morning.
Mahomed Kamal, 47, was found on the lawn of 150 Doolittle Road in Stamford at about 8:30 a.m. by landscapers, police said. The area is close to the Den Road exit on the the Merritt Parkway.
Kamal was pronounced dead at the scene. Police said there was a struggle both inside and outside the cab and that Kamal suffered several stab wounds. The cab was found in a wooded area nearby. Police said the knife has not been found, and they are looking for a suspect.
Kamal worked for Stamford Taxi. His death shocked other cab drivers in the city. Read more from them here in the Daily Voice.
- 1 July 4 Terror Warning Issued By FBI, Homeland Security
- 2 Police Shoot, Kill Fugitive Richard Matt; Fellow Escapee David Sweat On Run
- 3 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital
- 4 Greenwich Real Estate Agent From Houlihan Lawrence Earns Business Honor
- 5 Heavy Rain Headed To Greenwich, Thunderstorms Possible