GREENWICH, Conn. – A tree worker who suffered fatal injuries on Bush Avenue on Monday has been identified as Alvarro Lopez, 26, of Port Chester, according to Greenwich police spokesman Lt. Kraig Gray.
Lopez was an employee of his family's business, Lopez Landscaping, based in Cos Cob.
The police initially reported Lopez fell 30 feet to his death, but that information turned out to be incorrect, Gray said.
Lopez had been working to remove a large tree on the Greenwich property most of the day, Gray said. He had climbed the tree, using boot spikes, and was wearing a harness. Lopez cut a large section of the tree trunk, which unexpectedly fell backward and struck him, according to witnesses.
The ground crew, which included members of his family, pulled him unconscious from the tree and called 911, according to a police statement.
Emergency personnel found Lopez in cardiac arrest, Gray said. CPR was performed at scene, and Lopez was transported to the Greenwich Hospital Emergency Room, where he was pronounced dead, according to police.
- 1 Police Identify Teenagers Involved In Fatal Accident Near Port Chester HS
- 2 One Killed, One Injured In Car Crash Near Port Chester High School
- 3 Greenwich's Convent Of The Sacred Heart Celebrates Construction Milestone
- 4 Rain, Snow Threaten Greenwich On Busiest Travel Day Of The Year
- 5 Up To One Inch Of Rain Could Fall Overnight In Greenwich