STAMFORD, Conn. - Local and state fire marshals continued their investigation Thursday into the explosion that destroyed a house at 305 Webbs Hill Road in Stamford, according officials.
The homeowner, Guiseppe “Joe” Cardillo, was outside of the house when the explosion occurred just before 2 p.m. Tuesday, but he was not injured. Stamford fire officials said the home’s 500-pound underground propane tank fed the explosion. The tank had been filled over the summer.
Debris from the explosion was strewn throughout the area as far as 400 feet from the site, and the blast was felt about two miles away. Some homes in the immediate area sustained some damage.
Fire officials have not disclosed what they believe was the exact cause of the explosion, and crews were on-hand until just after midnight Thursday to fully extinguish the blaze.
The $1.1 million home was approximately 6,000 square feet and was nestled on 1.25 acres.
“The scene will remain secured until the investigation is complete,” said Thaddeus “Ted” Jankowski, Stamford’s director of Public Safety, Health and Welfare, in a statement.