GREENWICH, Conn. – The town of Greenwich is accepting applications for the position of entry-level firefighter through Thursday, July 25. All applications must be filed online, and applicants must submit a nonrefundable fee of $20.
The full-time job pays $51,746 to $65,267 annually, according to an online posting by the town.
Candidates must be at least 18 and possess a high school diploma or state-approved GED. All candidates must also be U.S. citizens.
Applicants for the entry-level firefighter position must pass a series of tests, including a written examination. Candidates must submit CPAT certification issued during 2013 or submit their registration form for the Fall 2013 CPAT test to the Town of Greenwich Human Resources Department by the close date of July 25 to sit for the written examination.
Applicants must pass a valid oral examination and will be required to have valid CPAT certification issued during 2013 to be invited to participate in the oral examination.
Additionally, candidates must pass a criminal record search, background investigation, psychological evaluation, a screening for controlled substances, and pre-employment medication examination.
Essential duties will include:
- Responding and providing a full range of fire protection and emergency/non-emergency incident functions as directed.
- Driving and operating fire apparatus and emergency equipment.
- Engaging in a full range of fire suppression activities.
- Participating in rescue and medical service duties as required.
- Responding to non-emergency public assistance calls and assists other Town Departments as requested.
- Performing fire prevention/public education duties, including fire station tours, demonstrations and planning.
Required knowledge, skills and abilities include:
- Knowledge of safety rules and regulations, fire apparatus and equipment and operations.
- Working knowledge of basic firematics, pumps and hydraulics and aerial/platform operations.
- Working knowledge of roads, hydrant locations, water sources, buildings, etc.
- Ability to swim.
- Ability to react quickly and calmly to emergency situations.
- Ability to drive and operate a full range of emergency vehicles.
- Ability to operate a full range of fire department vehicles and equipment and other associated emergency equipment as required.
- Ability to perform the physical tasks of a firefighter including prolonged and arduous work under extreme conditions wearing self-contained breathing apparatus throughout operations.
Candidates for firefighter and firefighters are required to meet specific medical and physical requirements and agility standards. They must also possess a valid motor vehicle license and obtain a Q endorsement within six months from the date of hire.
Hazardous materials operational level training must be successfully completed during probationary period and certification must be maintained. Medical response technician certification is required during the probationary period and must be maintained.
Employees hired shall be and remain non-smokers, non-nicotine users as a condition of continued employment.
To view the job description, full list of requirements, and details about candidate screening procedures, please visit the following ad posted by the Town of Greenwich.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.