DARIEN, Conn. — At least six kids were sent to the hospital after they were exposed to a large amount of chlorine at the Country Club of Darien on Saturday afternoon, police said.
A power outage caused the release of a large amount of the chemical into the pool after 2:30 p.m., police said.
Police, Post 53 and the Darien Fire Department responded to the Country Club at 300 Mansfield Ave.
A small group of youths there complained of symptoms consistent with chlorine exposure, police said. They were quarantined on the premises and evaluated by emergency medical services, police said.
Seven children ranging in age from 8 years old to 16 years old were evaluated at the site. Five of the juveniles were subsequently transported to Stamford Hospital as a precautionary measure, police said.
All of the affected youths were conscious and alert, police said.
At 3:05 p.m., Darien Police received a complaint of a girl who was having difficulty breathing at a residence in Darien. Police determined she had also been at the Country Club of Darien at the time of the incident.
The girl was evaluated by Post 53 and transported to Stamford Hospital as a precautionary measure, police said.
The Country Club of Darien remains open to its members and guests after the incident.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.