GREENWICH, Conn. - William A. Durkin, Jr. of Greenwich died July 6. He was 85.
Durkin was born Jan. 29, 1928, to William A. Durkin and Margaret Durkin, he graduated from the University of Notre Dame in 1949, with a degree in civil engineering, and served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War. Following his discharge, he joined the Walsh Construction Company, where he spent his entire career building paper mills, tunnels, bridges, nuclear power plants, military bases and other projects throughout the United States and abroad.
Both prior to and following retirement, Durkin volunteered his engineering expertise to many non-profit organizations, guiding projects for St. Michael's Church, Brunswick School, Greenwich Hospital, and Stepping Stones Museum, to name a few. He served on several nonprofit boards and chaired the Brunswick School Board of Trustees in the 1980's. In recent years, he gave his time to serving residents at the St. Camillus Nursing Home in Stamford. He was a member of the Greenwich Country Club, Ekwanok Country Club and the Beaverkill Trout Club.
Durkin is survived by his wife, Ginny; sons, Bill, Patrick, Tim, Tom and Dan; daughters-in-law, Martha, Kristen, Liz, Sue and Susan; and 15 grandchildren.
There will not be calling hours. A funeral Mass will be celebrated at 1 p.m. Thursday, July 11 at St. Michael's Church, Greenwich, Connecticut.
In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to the Cancer Research Institute (in memory of William A. Durkin, Jr.), 55 Broadway, Suite 1802, New York, NY 10006, or the William B. Nollman Memorial Caddy Scholarship Fund, c/o the Greenwich Country Club.
For more information, please visit: www.leopgallaghergreenwich.com
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.