GREENWICH, Conn. - Stacy C. Orphanos of Greenwich died July 28. She was 85.
Orphanos was born June 21, 1929, in New YorkCity to Nicholas Alexander Courtessis and Antigone Drosinas Courtessis. She has been a Greenwich resident since 1962.
After graduating from the Barnard School for Girls in New York City, she earned her bachelor of arts in music from Vassar College in 1951. She worked as a senior copywriter at J. Walter Thompson from 1951 to 1958, and in subsequent freelance and senior copywriting positions at Pfizer Pharmaceuticals, William Douglas McAdams Inc. and other concerns from 1959 to 1961.
She became a member of the Greenwich Association for the Public Schools ("GAPS"). This work led to her service on the Greenwich Board of Education in 1976, a position she held until 1995.
Orphanos is survived by her sons, Peter P. Orphanos (Karen) of Darien and Paul A.J. Orphanos (Katie) of New Canaan; and three grandchildren and a niece.
Calling hours are 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Monday, Aug. 4, at Fred D. Knapp Funeral Home, 267 Greenwich Ave., Greenwich, followed by a private burial.
In lieu of flowers, donations in her memory may be made to Vassar College, Office of Alumnae/i Affairs and Development, Box 725, 124 Raymond Ave., Poughkeepsie, NY 12604, or Friends of Nathaniel Witherell, The Camelot Unit, 70 Parsonage Road, Greenwich, CT 06830.
- 1 Merritt Reopens In Greenwich After Truck Slams Into Bridge, Catches Fire
- 2 Driver Was Checking Google Maps When Truck Hit Bridge Near Greenwich
- 3 Greenwich's First Snowfall Of Season Could Arrive Over Weekend
- 4 Greenwich Mom Gets Probation For Allowing Wild Teen Party In Easton
- 5 Another Frigid Winter Unlikely In Greenwich, NOAA Predicts