GREENWICH, Conn. - Samuel Volpe of Greenwich died Monday, Aug. 4. He was 97.
Volpe was born July 23, 1917, in Stamford, to Thomas and Angelina Volpe. He went to school and played on the basketball team with the Sacred Heart Visitations. He joined the Army and was a corporal in charge of Army supplies during World War II. He worked for Pitney Bowes as an assembler for 42 years. He retired to Lantana, Fla., for 26 years before returning to Greenwich in 2008.
Volpe is survived by his sister, Tomasina; daughter, Angelina Socci (Tony); two grandchildren; and a great-grandson. He was predeceased by his wife, Betty; daughter, Angelina; brothers, Dominic, Anthony, Gene; and sister, Mary.
Calling hours are Thursday, Aug. 7, from 4 to 7 p.m. at Castiglione Funeral Home, 134 Hamilton Ave., Greenwich. A Funeral Mass will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Friday, Aug. 8, at Sacred Heart Church in Byram.
In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to Alzheimer's Association, 2075 Silas Deane Highway, Suite 100, Rocky Hill, CT 06067.
- 1 Greenwich Will See Widespread Snow Sunday Into Monday
- 2 Former NBA All-Star, New York Knicks Player Anthony Mason Dies At 48
- 3 March Comes In Like A Lion As Latest Snowstorm Hits Greenwich
- 4 Separate I-95 Accidents Take Out Lanes Near Connecticut Border
- 5 Snow Likely At End Of Weekend In Greenwich