GREENWICH, Conn. - Ruth Eileene Gerland Versfelt, a resident of Greenwich for more than 30 years, died July 7. She was 88.
Versfelt was born Sept. 10, 1925, in Spokane, Wash., and, she was the daughter of John and Grace Gerland. She was raised in Garden City, N.Y. She graduated from Vassar College in 1946, earning election to Phi Beta Kappa in her junior year and the Olive Lammert Prize in her major, chemistry, as a senior. After her marriage she moved to a home in Greenwich in 1974, and lived there until 2006. She was for many years the administrative director of what was then called the Good Shepherd Nursery School of Irvington (N.Y.) Presbyterian Church, where she also served as alto soloist in the choir.
Versfelt is survived by her children, Gail Hay of Arlington, Texas, Claudia Swhier of Indianapolis, Ind., and David Versfelt of Greenwich; seven grandchildren; and three great grandchildren. She was predeceased by her husband, William H. Versfelt.
Funeral services are private.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Irvington Presbyterian Church, Irvington, New York.
- 1 One Killed, One Injured In Car Crash Near Port Chester High School
- 2 Police Identify Teenagers Involved In Fatal Accident Near Port Chester HS
- 3 UBS Parade Rises Again In Stamford On Sunday
- 4 Greenwich's Convent Of The Sacred Heart Celebrates Construction Milestone
- 5 Bridgeport National Guard Member Killed By Unsafe Lane Change, Police Say