GREENWICH, Conn. - Ruth Eileene Gerland Versfelt, a resident of Greenwich for more than 30 years, died July 7. She was 88.
Versfelt was born Sept. 10, 1925, in Spokane, Wash., and, she was the daughter of John and Grace Gerland. She was raised in Garden City, N.Y. She graduated from Vassar College in 1946, earning election to Phi Beta Kappa in her junior year and the Olive Lammert Prize in her major, chemistry, as a senior. After her marriage she moved to a home in Greenwich in 1974, and lived there until 2006. She was for many years the administrative director of what was then called the Good Shepherd Nursery School of Irvington (N.Y.) Presbyterian Church, where she also served as alto soloist in the choir.
Versfelt is survived by her children, Gail Hay of Arlington, Texas, Claudia Swhier of Indianapolis, Ind., and David Versfelt of Greenwich; seven grandchildren; and three great grandchildren. She was predeceased by her husband, William H. Versfelt.
Funeral services are private.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Irvington Presbyterian Church, Irvington, New York.
- 1 Police: Armed Robber Strikes Greenwich Gas Station On Route 1
- 2 Box Truck Fire Closes East Putnam Avenue In Greenwich
- 3 Car Rollover On I-95 In Fairfield Requires Complicated Extractions
- 4 Pedestrian Struck, Killed By Train At Fairfield Station
- 5 Greenwich Police: Two Men Assaulted, Robbed In 'Ferocious' Street Attack