SOUTHBURY, Conn. - Michael C. Russo Sr. of Southbury, formerly of Stamford, died Sunday, March 30. He was 85.
Russo was born Sept. 18, 1928, in Stamford, he was the son of Raffaele and Lucia (Lorato) Russo. He attended Stamford schools and graduated from Stamford High School in 1947. He was a peacetime veteran of the U.S. Air Force. He initially became a mason with his father and later a butcher by trade. He owned and operated the former Stanley’s Meat Market of Greenwich, and later managed The Grand Central Market of Stamford.
A resident of Southbury for the past five years coming from Stamford, he was a member of St. Cecilia Parish of Stamford, the Knights of Columbus of Stamford and the Italian Center of Stamford.
Russo is survived by his sons, Michael C. Russo, Jr. and Deacon Stephen R. Russo (Heather); former daughter-in-law, Jody Russo; four grandchildren; several nieces and nephews; and brother, Guilo Russo of Florida. He was predeceased by his parents; wife, Helen (Grabowski); son Walter R. Russo; sister Caroline Uva; and brothers, Anthony Russo and Ralph Russo.
Calling hours are Sunday, April 6 from 4 to 7 p.m. in the Kane Funeral Home, 25 Catoonah St., Ridgefield. The Divine Liturgy of Christian Burial will take place Monday, April 7 at 10 a.m. in St. Ann Melkite Catholic Church, 181 Clapboard Ridge Road, (Rte. 39N), Danbury with Rev. John Cigan and Russo’s son, Deacon Stephen R. Russo of St. Nicholas Byzantine Catholic Church, Danbury, officiating. Burial will follow in Lakeview Cemetery, New Canaan. The Panachida Prayer Service will take place Sunday, April 6 at 6:30 p.m.
Contributions in Russo’s memory may be made to the St. Nicholas New Church Building Fund, 13 Pembroke Rd., Danbury, CT 06811.
- 1 New Scam Showing Up On Facebook Could Cost You Lots Of Money
- 2 Just In Time For 'Shark Week,' New Sighting Reported Off Long Island Waters
- 3 Rain Could Spoil July 4 Events, Celebrations In Greenwich
- 4 Teen Killed After Being Hit By Car Crossing Road To Danbury Pizza Place
- 5 Stamford EMTs Use Narcan For First Time To Save Man From Overdose