GREENWICH, Conn. - Maryann Morano, a longtime resident of Greenwich, died Saturday, June 22. She was 97.
Morano was born July 7, 1915, in New Canaan, daughter of James and Frances Vietri Lato.
She was a graduate of New Canaan High School, where she earned a varsity letter in Women's Basketball, an award for "Women's Athlete of the Year", a state championship title, and an invitation to play for the University of Connecticut.
She declined her scholarship to continue working in the Great Depression climate of 1934. She married Peter Morano in 1940 and moved to Greenwich, where they owned and operated a dry-cleaning business on Greenwich Avenue for decades and were members of the St. Roch Church.
Morano is survived by her son, Albert (Sandra) of New Canaan; daughter, Linda R. Morano of Greenwich; sister, Edith Sinclair of Norwalk; and three grandchildren. She was predeceased by her parents; and husband, Peter R. Morano.
A Mass of Christian burial will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Wednesday, June 26 at St Aloysius Church, New Canaan. Interment will be in St Mary's Cemetery, Greenwich.
The Hoyt Funeral Home, New Canaan is in charge of arrangements.
For more information, please visit: www.hoytfuneralhome.com
- 1 Greenwich Part Of Area Ranked Most Unequal Place In Nation
- 2 Teen Prostitute Charged With Falsely Reporting Rape In Greenwich
- 3 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Greenwich
- 4 One Man Dead After Altercation On Route 25/8 Ramp In Bridgeport
- 5 Sony Pulls Film; Greenwich Will Have To Wait On 'The Interview'