GREENWICH, Conn. - Irene Peggy Wort of Greenwich died Sunday, July 13. She was 89.
Wort was born Sept. 23, 1924, in Southampton, England. During World War II, she was evacuated to Bournemouth but returned to Southampton to be a fire warden, looking out for fires after the bombing raids. After the war, she joined the Inland Revenue Service. In 1976, she moved with her family to Canada, and then to Greenwich in 1977. She was active with Meals on Wheels and was a member of the Greenwich Lawn Bowls Club.
Wort is survived by her daughter, Pamela Lake; four grandchildren; sons-in-law, Ron Lake and Philip Barry; and a nephew.
No service details available.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Alzheimer's Association.
For more information, visit www.leopgallagherstamford.com
- 1 Driver Injured As Car Goes Down Embankment Off Merritt In Greenwich
- 2 Two Teenage Girls Rescued From Water After Tubing Accident Off Fairfield
- 3 Jerome Kohlberg, Billionaire Area Businessman, Philanthropist, Dies
- 4 Westport Mom Charged With Leaving Baby In Car At Whole Foods
- 5 Girls Hurt In Fairfield Tubing Accident Moved To Yale-New Haven Hospital