GREENWICH, Conn. – Helen W. Roman of Riverside died Dec. 6 with her daughter at her side. She was 94.
Born Feb. 5, 1918, in Bridgeport, she was the daughter of Leon and Stella Osinska Wojciechowski. She worked as a registered nurse and served as a first lieutenant in the Army Nurse Corps during World War II in the European Theater in England, France, Belgium and Germany.
During the 1949 polio epidemic, Roman served as a Red Cross disaster nurse in the Midwest. She also worked as an industrial nurse for Pitney Bowes and Connecticut Light & Power.
She is survived by a daughter, Elizabeth "Betsy" (Jonathan) Henry, of Stamford; a son, Paul, of Massachusetts; and a granddaughter. She was predeceased by her husband, Andrew, in 2002; a brother, Edward Wojciechowski; and a sister, Clare LeRoy.
A Mass of Christian burial will be celebrated at 11 a.m. Saturday at St. Catherine of Siena Church in Riverside. Burial will be private. Castiglione Funeral Home is handling arrangements.
- 1 Bear Drops In At Backyard, Country Club In Greenwich
- 2 Metro-North Train Hits, Kills Man On Tracks Near Fairfield Metro Station
- 3 Greenwich Educator Drops Out Of Race For Principal At Staples
- 4 Police: Drunk N.H. Man With Loaded Handgun Arrested At Gunpoint In Stamford
- 5 Severe Thunderstorm Watch In Effect For Greenwich