GREENWICH, Conn. – Helen V. Makowski, formerly of Greenwich, died Jan. 24 at her home in New Fairfield, surrounded by family. She was 88.
Makowski was born March 1, 1924, in Port Chester, N.Y., to Cortland and Helen Reynolds. She graduated from Greenwich High School and married Joseph Makowski in 1946. She worked at Harper Method Beauty Salon in Greenwich for many years.
She maintained an interest in the history of Greenwich, reading and collecting books that described the town's bygone years. She and her husband were active in the Westchester and Fairfield Horticultural Society.
Makowski was a member of the Byram Garden Club and Sacred Heart Church Flower Committee. She hosted many Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners at her home in Greenwich. She also enjoyed the company of her neighbors and friends during the summer.
She is survived by a daughter, Diane (Joseph) Czarnik, of New Fairfield; two sons, Mark Makowski, of Groton, and Richard Makowski, of Stamford; and two grandchildren and two nephews. She was predeceased by her husband, Joseph Makowski; a sister, Margret Krack; and a brother-in-law, Robert Krack.
A memorial Mass will be celebrated at 11 a.m. Saturday at Holy Trinity Church in Sherman. Castiglione Funeral Home is handling arrangements.
Memorial contributions may be made to Tunnel to Towers Foundation, Attn: Sandy Mobile Homes, 2361 Hylan Blvd., Staten Island, NY 10306.
- 1 Lisa Marie D'Angelo, 42, Of Old Greenwich, Worked As Nurse’s Aide
- 2 Western Connecticut Reopens Evacuated Buildings On Midtown Danbury Campus
- 3 Greenwich Customers Could Be Affected By Home Depot Credit Card Breach
- 4 Stamford Cops: Greenwich Woman Charged After Leaving Child In Locked Car
- 5 Former Connecticut Gov. John Rowland Found Guilty Of Conspiracy