GREENWICH, Conn. – George A. Petersen, a lifelong Greenwich resident, died Jan. 26, surrounded by family. He was 87.
He was born Feb. 7, 1925, to Thomas and Bertha Jensen Petersen. He was married to Winifred Foley Petersen for almost 60 years.
Petersen attended Greenwich schools and graduated from Ithaca College. He worked as a chemical engineer at American Cyanamid in Stamford for many years.
A veteran of World War II, he served in the Navy from 1943 to 1945. He loved to bowl and his favorite activity was going to Island Beach.
Petersen is survived by his wife; four children, Michael (Miriam) Petersen, Elizabeth T. (James) Lankard, Barbara (Richard) Engborg and Maryann (Philip) Boyer; and eight grandchildren.
Visitation is from 4 to 8 p.m., Wednesday, at Castiglione Funeral Home in Greenwich. Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m., Thursday, at the funeral home. Burial with military honors will follow at St. Mary Cemetery in Greenwich.
In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made Nathaniel Witherell Patient Care Fund, 70 Parsonage Road, Greenwich, CT 06830.
- 1 3 Greenwich High Football Assistants Quit After Head Coach Exits
- 2 Major Nor'easter Heads Toward Greenwich, Blizzard Watch Issued
- 3 Fire Engulfs Greenwich Home Friday Morning
- 4 Greenwich Could See Significant Snowfall, Ice From Coastal Storm
- 5 Vince Camuto, 78, Legendary Greenwich Footwear Designer, Dies