GREENWICH, Conn. – George A. Petersen, a lifelong Greenwich resident, died Jan. 26, surrounded by family. He was 87.
He was born Feb. 7, 1925, to Thomas and Bertha Jensen Petersen. He was married to Winifred Foley Petersen for almost 60 years.
Petersen attended Greenwich schools and graduated from Ithaca College. He worked as a chemical engineer at American Cyanamid in Stamford for many years.
A veteran of World War II, he served in the Navy from 1943 to 1945. He loved to bowl and his favorite activity was going to Island Beach.
Petersen is survived by his wife; four children, Michael (Miriam) Petersen, Elizabeth T. (James) Lankard, Barbara (Richard) Engborg and Maryann (Philip) Boyer; and eight grandchildren.
Visitation is from 4 to 8 p.m., Wednesday, at Castiglione Funeral Home in Greenwich. Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m., Thursday, at the funeral home. Burial with military honors will follow at St. Mary Cemetery in Greenwich.
In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made Nathaniel Witherell Patient Care Fund, 70 Parsonage Road, Greenwich, CT 06830.
- 1 Bear Drops In At Backyard, Country Club In Greenwich
- 2 Record Numbers Turn Out As Greenwich Throws Its Biggest Party
- 3 Metro-North Train Hits, Kills Man On Tracks Near Fairfield Metro Station
- 4 Threat Of Tick-Borne Diseases Serious, Growing In Fairfield, Says Report
- 5 Greenwich Educator Drops Out Of Race For Principal At Staples