GREENWICH, Conn. – Elizabeth J. Benn of Cos Cob and formerly of Ridgefield died Feb. 4 at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York City after prolonged battle with leukemia. She was 50.
Benn was born Feb. 16, 1962, in Danbury to Robert C. and Gladys Breckwoldt Benn. She attended Ridgefield schools and graduated from Ridgefield High School in 1980.
She received a Bachelor of Arts degree from Muhlenberg College in 1984 and master’s degree from Boston College. She later received a master’s degree in education from Columbia University.
An educator for the past 25 years, Benn was first employed by the Greenwich Academy. At the time of her death, she had worked for the Greenwich Public School system for 18 years as a kindergarten teacher.
Benn was a member of the Congregational Church of Ridgefield and a member of the Connecticut Teacher’s Association.
She is survived by her parents; a brother, Robert C. (Laura) Benn, of Washington, Conn.; a sister, Nancy (Anthony) Smith, of Brookfield, Conn.; and several nieces and nephews
Memorial services will take place at a later date. Jowdy Kane Funeral Home is handling arrangements.
- 1 July 4 Terror Warning Issued By FBI, Homeland Security
- 2 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital
- 3 Heavy Rain Headed To Greenwich, Thunderstorms Possible
- 4 Greenwich Could See New Round Of Thunderstorms
- 5 July 4 Terror Threat 'Nothing Routine,' Former CIA Deputy Director Says