GREENWICH, Conn. – Elizabeth J. Benn of Cos Cob and formerly of Ridgefield died Feb. 4 at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York City after prolonged battle with leukemia. She was 50.
Benn was born Feb. 16, 1962, in Danbury to Robert C. and Gladys Breckwoldt Benn. She attended Ridgefield schools and graduated from Ridgefield High School in 1980.
She received a Bachelor of Arts degree from Muhlenberg College in 1984 and master’s degree from Boston College. She later received a master’s degree in education from Columbia University.
An educator for the past 25 years, Benn was first employed by the Greenwich Academy. At the time of her death, she had worked for the Greenwich Public School system for 18 years as a kindergarten teacher.
Benn was a member of the Congregational Church of Ridgefield and a member of the Connecticut Teacher’s Association.
She is survived by her parents; a brother, Robert C. (Laura) Benn, of Washington, Conn.; a sister, Nancy (Anthony) Smith, of Brookfield, Conn.; and several nieces and nephews
Memorial services will take place at a later date. Jowdy Kane Funeral Home is handling arrangements.
- 1 Greenwich Part Of Area Ranked Most Unequal Place In Nation
- 2 Teen Prostitute Charged With Falsely Reporting Rape In Greenwich
- 3 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Greenwich
- 4 One Man Dead After Altercation On Route 25/8 Ramp In Bridgeport
- 5 Sony Pulls Film; Greenwich Will Have To Wait On 'The Interview'