GREENWICH, Conn. - Dorothy Cooke Merchant, a lifelong resident of Greenwich, died Monday, June 23. She was 93.
Merchant was born Feb. 4, 1921, to Jennie Francis and George Bradford Cooke. The Cooke family settled in Greenwich in the 1860s.
Before her retirement in the 1990s, she was a principal of Thomas N. Cooke Real Estate in Greenwich. She graduated from Greenwich High School and Lasell College in Newton, Mass. She was involved in many Greenwich institutions as both a volunteer and supporter, including Greenwich Academy, the Red Cross, Greenwich Library and the Community Chest, which was the precursor to The United Way. In addition, she was a longtime volunteer at Greenwich Hospital, and for many years, headed the Greenwich Hospital Auxiliary Thrift Shop.
Merchant is survived by her daughter, Jane Leary Schnitzer of New York City and Nantucket, Mass.; two granddaughters; and two great-granddaughters. She was predeceased by her second husband, Arthur C. Merchant.
A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday, July 1, at St. Matthew's Episcopal Church in Bedford, N.Y.
In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to the Greenwich Hospital Home Hospice Program.
- 1 3 Greenwich High Football Assistants Quit After Head Coach Exits
- 2 Major Nor'easter Heads Toward Greenwich, Blizzard Watch Issued
- 3 Greenwich Residents Warned To Prepare For Approaching Blizzard
- 4 18-24 Inches Of Snow Now Possible In Greenwich; Blizzard Warning Issued
- 5 Winter Weather Advisory In Effect For Greenwich With Snow, Ice In Forecast