GREENWICH, Conn. - Dorothy Cooke Merchant, a lifelong resident of Greenwich, died Monday, June 23. She was 93.
Merchant was born Feb. 4, 1921, to Jennie Francis and George Bradford Cooke. The Cooke family settled in Greenwich in the 1860s.
Before her retirement in the 1990s, she was a principal of Thomas N. Cooke Real Estate in Greenwich. She graduated from Greenwich High School and Lasell College in Newton, Mass. She was involved in many Greenwich institutions as both a volunteer and supporter, including Greenwich Academy, the Red Cross, Greenwich Library and the Community Chest, which was the precursor to The United Way. In addition, she was a longtime volunteer at Greenwich Hospital, and for many years, headed the Greenwich Hospital Auxiliary Thrift Shop.
Merchant is survived by her daughter, Jane Leary Schnitzer of New York City and Nantucket, Mass.; two granddaughters; and two great-granddaughters. She was predeceased by her second husband, Arthur C. Merchant.
A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday, July 1, at St. Matthew's Episcopal Church in Bedford, N.Y.
In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to the Greenwich Hospital Home Hospice Program.
- 1 Bear Drops In At Backyard, Country Club In Greenwich
- 2 Metro-North Train Hits, Kills Man On Tracks Near Fairfield Metro Station
- 3 Greenwich Educator Drops Out Of Race For Principal At Staples
- 4 Police: Drunk N.H. Man With Loaded Handgun Arrested At Gunpoint In Stamford
- 5 Severe Thunderstorm Watch In Effect For Greenwich