FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- With tax day fast approaching, WalletHub.com released a report reminding Fairfield County residents that most taxpayers around the country have it better than they do.
Connecticut was named as the 48th state for taxpayers, with an average annual tax burden of $9,099, or 31 percent above the national average, the study found.
Wallethub ranked each state in the following categories to come up with its ranking: Real estate tax, state income tax, local income tax, vehicle property tax, vehicle sales tax, sales and use tax, fuel tax, alcohol tax, food tax and telecommunications tax.
If there's any solace for Connecticut taxpayers, it's that neighboring New York was ranked as No. 51, good for dead last (including Washington, D.C.) with an average tax burden of $9718, which is 40 percent higher than the national average, according to WalletHub.
Wyoming ranked as the best state for taxpayers, with an annual average tax burden of $2365, or 66 percent below the national average.
Alaska, Nevada, Florida and South Dakota rounded out the Top 5.
California, Nebraska and Illinois rounded out the bottom five with New York and Connecticut.
- 1 Bear Drops In At Backyard, Country Club In Greenwich
- 2 Record Numbers Turn Out As Greenwich Throws Its Biggest Party
- 3 Threat Of Tick-Borne Diseases Serious, Growing In Fairfield, Says Report
- 4 Metro-North Train Hits, Kills Man On Tracks Near Fairfield Metro Station
- 5 Greenwich Educator Drops Out Of Race For Principal At Staples