NORWALK, Conn. -- Pete Willcox, a Norwalk native and captain of the Greenpeace vessel Rainbow Warrior, was arrested with his crew by Dutch police after attempting to block a Russian oil tanker from mooring in Rotterdam on Thursday, May 1, according to RT.com.
Authorities said they would allow Greenpeace activists to protest but stepped in when the group went back on an agreement not to interfere with the tanker, RT.com reported.
Willcox and the other detainees were released by Dutch police, RT.com said.
Willcox and his crew on his previous ship, the Arctic Sunrise, were detained for 100 days by Russian authorities after staging a protest near an oil rig in the Arctic Ocean last year.
- 1 One Killed, One Injured In Car Crash Near Port Chester High School
- 2 Police Identify Teenagers Involved In Fatal Accident Near Port Chester HS
- 3 UBS Parade Rises Again In Stamford On Sunday
- 4 Greenwich's Convent Of The Sacred Heart Celebrates Construction Milestone
- 5 Bridgeport National Guard Member Killed By Unsafe Lane Change, Police Say