NORWALK, Conn. -- Pete Willcox, a Norwalk native and captain of the Greenpeace vessel Rainbow Warrior, was arrested with his crew by Dutch police after attempting to block a Russian oil tanker from mooring in Rotterdam on Thursday, May 1, according to RT.com.
Authorities said they would allow Greenpeace activists to protest but stepped in when the group went back on an agreement not to interfere with the tanker, RT.com reported.
Willcox and the other detainees were released by Dutch police, RT.com said.
Willcox and his crew on his previous ship, the Arctic Sunrise, were detained for 100 days by Russian authorities after staging a protest near an oil rig in the Arctic Ocean last year.
- 1 Nor'easter To Impact Greenwich On Wednesday
- 2 Greenwich Ranks In SafeWise's Top 10 Of Safest Places In State
- 3 No Injuries Reported In Car Fire On Merritt Parkway In Greenwich
- 4 Happy Birthday To Greenwich’s Judith Sheindlin ('Judge Judy')
- 5 NYC Doctor Is First Person In The Tristate Area To Test Positive For Ebola