Contact Us
Greenwich Daily Voice serves Greenwich, CT
Return to your home site

Menu

Greenwich Daily Voice serves Greenwich, CT
news

Keep Cool During Greenwich Heat Wave

GREENWICH, Conn. – Greenwich is in store for a heat wave the next few days, according to the National Weather Service , and the town will be opening its cooling centers.

Wednesday will be mostly sunny with a high near 96 degrees and heat index values as high as 100. Humidity should be about 63 percent. Wednesday evening is expected to be mostly clear with a low around 73 degrees. Thursday will be sunny again with a high near 94 degrees leading into a partly cloudy evening with a low around 72 degrees. Humidity during the day should be about 56 percent.

On Friday, the heat is expected to let up slightly with a high near 87 degrees and a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before noon. Humidity during the day should be about 60 percent. Friday evening will cool down to a low of 63 degrees.

The Greenwich Department of Health has issued a heat advisory for Wednesday and Thursday as temperatures and humidity soar.

The following locations are available as cooling centers whenever a heat advisory has been issued:

• Greenwich Senior Center, 299 Greenwich Ave., Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

• Greenwich Main Library, 101 W. Putnam Ave., Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.; and Sunday, 1-5 p.m.

• Cos Cob Branch Library, 5 Sinawoy Road (behind the Cos Cob Firehouse), Monday, noon to 8 p.m., Tuesday through Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Closed Sunday.

• Byram Schubert Library, Mead Avenue, Monday through Thursday and Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Closed Friday and Sunday.

• Perrot Memorial Library, 90 Sound Beach Ave., Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Tuesday and Thursday, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Sunday, 1 to 5 p.m.

• Bendhiem Western Greenwich Civic Center, 449 Pemberwick Road, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., Saturday and Sunday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. The Lobby of the Greenwich Public Safety Complex will be open 24/7 and the Community Room will be available 24/7 for overflow and emergency use.

For those without air conditioning, the health department suggests limiting time spent outside, spending time with family and friends who do have air conditioning, visiting Greenwich libraries, going to the movies, or visiting shopping malls to escape the heat.

Here are some heat risks and what to do about them:

• Heat stroke – Heat stroke is a severe medical emergency. Call for emergency medical assistance immediately by dialing 9-1-1. If possible, move the person into a cool or air-conditioned environment. Signs of heat stroke may include headache, confusion, nausea, dizziness, high body temperature, difficulty breathing, rapid and strong pulse. Skin may be hot and dry or the person may be sweating. Reduce body temperature with air-conditioning, fanning, water sponging and remove clothing if necessary. Avoid giving fluids.

• Heat exhaustion – This condition will give rise to heavy sweating, weakness and cool, pale clammy skin. The person may experience muscle cramps, dizziness, fainting, nausea and vomiting. Although body temperature may be normal there will be a weak pulse. Move the person out of the sun into a cool environment and apply a cool wet cloth while they are lying down. Give sips of water until feeling better, however if vomiting continues, seek immediate medical attention.

• Heat cramps – This condition will give rise to painful cramps and muscle spasms in the legs or abdomen. Heavy sweating also may be present. Move the person out of the heat into a cool environment and gently massage the cramping muscle. Give sips of water unless nausea occurs or there are fluid restrictions.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Greenwich Daily Voice!

This is a one time message inviting you to keep in touch

Get important news about your town as it happens.