STAMFORD, Conn. – James Macgregor Bryson died May 30 at Tidewell Hospice House in Sarasota, Fla., surrounded by family. He was 82.
A resident of Stamford for more than 70 years, Bryson lived in Old Greenwich for 12 years and spent winters in Nokomis, Fla.
He was born in 1929 in Stamford Hospital to Matthew Kerr and Agnes Macgregor Bryson. Bryson joined the National Guard in September of 1950 and was stationed in Germany with the 192nd Field Artillery, 43rd Division, during the Korean War.
Bryson worked as a master sheet metal mechanic and foreman. He was employed by Richard & Jessup and H & E Palmer in Stamford. In 1974, Bryson started his own business doing residential repairs and construction. He was a master craftsman and an avid photographer.
He was a member and trustee of the First Congregational Church in Stamford for 39 years. He founded "Joseph's Carpentry Shop" for children aged eight and over in the basement.
Described by his family as "a true Scotsman," Bryson was also a member and past president of the North Stamford Lion's Club and received their highest award, the Melvin Jones Fellowship. For more than 20 years, he was chairman for their Eye Seal campaign.
Bryson is survived by his wife of 58 years, Patricia (Gourlay); a son, James "Greg" (Louise) Bryson Jr., of Norwalk; two daughters, Deborah (Ray) Lietuvninkas, of Stratford, and Nancy (Brian) Jennings, of Stratford; a brother, Robert Dawson Bryson, of Stamford; six grandchildren and many nieces and nephews.
A memorial service will be held at the First Congregational Church in Stamford on Sunday, June 10, at 2 p.m. Farley Funeral Home in Florida is handling arrangements.
In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to the Southeastern Guide Dogs, 4210 77 St. East, Palmetto, FL 34221, North Stamford Lions Club c/o Russell Matteis, 53 Larkin St., Stamford, CT 06906, or to a favorite charity.