FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- Bitterly cold temperatures and wind chills will continue overnight and into Wednesday morning in Fairfield County, the National Weather Service warned.
How do you feel about the frigid cold enveloping Fairfield County?View Results
How do you feel about the frigid cold enveloping Fairfield County?
I can deal with it by staying inside27%
I'm ready to move to a warmer climate17%
I'm worried about the people who have to work or be outdoors33%
I'm going stir crazy after being inside for so many days3%
I'm turning up the heat and having an extra hot drink7%
I work outside and it's bad2%
I love the winter - bring it on!11%
The Wind Chill Advisory for the entire metro region has been extended until 8 a.m. Wednesday, the weather service said.
Single-digit temperatures as low as 1 degree combined with 10 to 20 mph winds gusting to 30 mph will result in wind chills as low as 20 below zero Tuesday night into Wednesday morning.
The window-rattling winds should begin to diminish overnight, the weather service said.
Prolonged exposure to wind and cold could lead to frostbite or hypothermia.
Residents are reminded to:
- Check the antifreeze in cars
- Use space heaters safely
- If using emergency generators, be sure they are well ventilated
- Wear hats, gloves and scarves when outside and cover all exposed skin.
The cold continues on Wednesday with a high in the teens under sunny skies. It will warm up a bit on Thursday with a high in the 20s under partly sunny skies.
The outlook for Friday is mostly cloudy with a high temperature of about 40 degrees. The next chance for precipitation is Friday night, with a chance of rain, possibly turning to snow overnight. Any snow will turn to rain Saturday as the high temperature is expected to be near 50.
- 1 Greenwich Mogul Shakes Up Art World With Sale Of Magazine, Merger
- 2 Moving Truck Gets Wedged Under Metro-North Train Bridge In Greenwich
- 3 Greenwich Girl, 17, Issued Tickets In Boating Death Of Friend Last Summer
- 4 Drenching Thunderstorms Headed To Greenwich
- 5 New Canaan Man Accused Of Sexually Assaulting 3-Year-Old At Wife's Day Care