GREENWICH, Conn. -- The suicide of a 15-year-old Greenwich High School student that caused an outpouring of grief in the community and a criminal investigation into bullying in the school district in September topped the news in Greenwich in 2013.
Some other top stories from 2013 include:
- A new trial was ordered for Kennedy cousin Michael Skakel after his 2002 conviction for the infamous 1975 murder of his Greenwich neighbor Martha Moxley. He went free on bail in November .
- Prince Harry, fourth in line to the British throne, visited Greenwich in May to play a charity polo match .
- Old Greenwich resident and WABC-TV meteorologist Bill Evans and his wife, Dana, made news after a domestic dispute went public .
- Two banks were robbed in Greenwich in September in quick succession by a serial bank robber. A suspect was apprehended Dec. 24 .
- A 55-year-old Greenwich man was charged with bludgeoning his wife nearly to death with a baseball bat.
- A Greenwich middle school teacher was arrested after leaving threatening messages at Western Middle School .
- First Selectman Peter Tesei was re-elected to a fourth term in office .
- A tornado touched down in backcountry Greenwich in July, ripping up dozens of trees . No one was hurt.
- Rower and Greenwich Academy graduate Galen Hughes helped her team to win the gold medal at the World Rowing Junior Championships in Lithuania in August.
- Bruno Vaccarezza, 19, of Cos Cob was one of four people, including three teenagers, who died in a crash on the Sprain River Parkway in Greenburgh, N.Y., over Labor Day weekend.
- A 38-year-old Greenwich man was killed in a crash on the Merritt Parkway in Norwalk in February.
- Vincent Scorese, 19, a recent Greenwich High graduate and former Greenwich High boys ice hockey goalie, died in a car crash on Riversville Road .
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.