FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- The Fairfield County Sports Commission announced it will donate $15,000 each to nonprofit sports and fitness organizations and individuals in Bridgeport, Norwalk and Stamford.
Several organizations and individuals in each community will share the award. The Sports Commission received in 2016 the two largest corporate grants ever in its 12-year existence. The $45,000 of financial support will provide a greater impact in meeting FCSC's mission of promoting an active and healthy lifestyle and personal development through sports.
"The areas that we will be supporting help us reach our goals of trying to get new programs launched, help existing ones grow, give scholarship aid directly to deserving and needy individuals, and support new ideas we have not been able to help," said Tom Chiappetta, FCSC's executive director.
The Commission will continue its long-time relationships with the Cardinal Shehan Center in Bridgeport, the Carver Center in Norwalk and the Stamford Youth Foundation.
Donations were also allotted to Mary Roman, a senior athlete who was the 2009 Norwalk Sports Person of the Year, to help her to participate in the World Masters Games in Australia in October, and to Donald Wilson, the founder of Bridgeport Youth Lacrosse and the 2009 Bridgeport SOY.
The complete list of recipients follows.
- Cardinal Shehan Center-Fitness For Life program
- McGivney Center-Cooking and healthy food education programs expansion
- Bridgeport Middle Schools-Pilot track and field program
- Bridgeport Field of Dreams Foundation-Summer camp soccer program expansion
- Bridgeport Youth Lacrosse-Donald Wilson
- Carver Center-Girls Youth Development program expansion
- Chelsea Cohen Memorial Scholarship-Norwalk and McMahon High female student/athletes
- Ponus Middle School-KIDS FANS nutrition program
- World Masters Games Athlete-Mary Roman
- Stamford Hospital KIDS FANS-Four elementary schools
- Children's Learning Centers of Fairfield County-KIDS FANS Pre-K program
- Stamford Boys & Girls Club Yerwood Center-Night activities program
- Stamford Boys & Girls Club-Healthy Habits program
- Stamford Youth Foundation-Scholarship participation aid
For more information or to support the Fairfield County Sports Commission, click h e re to visit its website.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.