DARIEN, Conn. -- Have you summerized your home yet?
According to Carey Karlan, owner of Darien and Stamford-based Last Detail Interior Design , going from season to season can be a good time to refresh and reassess how you accessorize your home.
What follows are Karlan's suggestions on prepping for warm weather.
- Sometimes you can remove curtains and replace with sheers.
- Bring some outdoor rattan / wicker furniture inside and stow away that mohair or leather chair for the season.
- Use a picnic basket as magazine holder.
- If budget permits, make white slipcovers to cover heaviest pieces.
- Switch out your pillows for lighter, brighter ones.
- Replace winter accessories with found items from nature: shells, sand boxes with pretty stones, coral, wild flowers in white pitchers.
- Put away the fancy candlesticks and bring out lanterns.
- Change your bed linens and remove heavy comforters and throws. Lighten up.
- Roll up your winter area rug and go naked or buy a sisal rug.
- Remove dark lampshades and try lighter ones – this brightens a space instantly.
- Bring the outside in by making relaxed bouquets from garden flowers.
- Overall, work to declutter so there is a feeling of ease and low maintenance.