COS COB, Conn. — Worried about all that sugar in your house come Halloween?
Cos Cob residents Cai and Jeff Pandolfino, co-founders of Green & Tonic , an eatery offering plant-based fruits and juices with locations in Cos Cob, Darien, Greenwich, Westport and New Canaan, encourage the following survival tips for staying on a healthy course while still enjoying Halloween treats.
- Plan to do a cleanse or meal plan right after the holiday.
- Stock up on healthy snacks such as kale chips, energy bars and hummus and do your best to keep indulgences out of the house. Prep leafy greens in advance to throw together a quick salad and have vegetables and fruit on hand.
- Practice good digestive health. Be sure to supplement daily with a probiotic and fermented foods like raw sauerkraut. Aim to get the recommended 25-35 grams of fiber per day so the sweets and treats have less of a negative impact.
- Ask yourself whether it’s worth it. That candy may be sweet in the moment, but is it really worth all that comes with it such as energy crashes, cravings, weight gain, and headaches? Sometimes the answer may be yes but be reasonable about the amount you consume.
- Dole out treats in moderation. Allow your kids to keep a small amount of candy the first few days after Halloween and work out a trade with them for the rest. For example, 10 pieces of candy equals one hour of video games or a day at the mall. As for you and that Kit Kat bar calling your name from across the room, get it out of the house. The sooner you get rid of that Halloween candy, the sooner you'll be able to get back on track.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.