RIDGEFIELD, Conn. -- Ridgefield actor and playwright Harvey Fierstein will be looking to add to his collection of Tony Awards on Sunday night.
"Casa Valentina," a play written by Fierstein, is nominated for four Tony Awards this year:
- Best Play;
- Reed Birney for Best Performance by an Actor in a Featured Role in a Play;
- Mare Winningham for Best Performance by an Actress in a Featured Role in a Play; and
- Rita Ryack for Best Costume Design of a Play.
The 68th annual Tony Awards will be held at Radio City Music Hall and hosted by Hugh Jackman. The show will be aired live on CBS on at 8 p.m. Sunday, June 8.
Fierstein is one of only two people to win Tony Awards in four different categories - Best Actor in a Play and Best Play for "Torch Song Trilogy;" Best Book of a Musical for "La Cage aux Folles;" and Best Actor in a Musical for "Hairspray."
His newest creation, "Casa Valentina," is set in 1962 in a resort hidden in the Catskills, where white-collar businessmen dress up and act like women.
When faced with the opportunity to become an official organization, these "self-made women" had to decide whether public recognition would help them gain a place in open society or spell their own personal disaster.
The setting recalls a real-life 1960s Catskill Mountain getaway called Casa Susanna, which was chronicled in a 2005 book of text and photos.
"Infused with Fierstein’s trademark wit, this moving, insightful and delightfully entertaining new work offers a glimpse into the lives of a group of unforgettable characters as they search for acceptance and happiness in their very own Garden of Eden," says the play's website.
"Casa Valentina" is playing at the Samuel J. Friedman Theatre. It officially opened April 23. The producers are the Manhattan Theatre Club, Lynne Meadow, Barry Grove, Colin Callender, Robert Cole, Frederick Zollo and The Shubert Organization.
For more information on "Casa Valentina" or to buy tickets, visit its website.
- 1 Greenwich High Cited Among Top High Schools By Newsweek
- 2 National Weather Service: Greenwich's Winter Won't Be So Bad
- 3 Lisa Marie D'Angelo, 42, Of Old Greenwich, Worked As Nurse’s Aide
- 4 Greenwich Educator Named Semifinalist For Teacher Of The Year
- 5 Greenwich Customers Could Be Affected By Home Depot Credit Card Breach