RYE BROOK, N.Y. -- Balducci’s Food Lover’s Market has been rooted in Italian culture for over 100 years, and this month, the market is showcasing the best in Italian cooking through its Taste of Italy culinary exploration.
When cooking at home, adding Italian flair dishes is easy, thanks to several tips from Balducci’s Rye Brook executive chef, Wilmil García-Colondres.
- Choose the right oils : Extra virgin olive oil makes the perfect base for Italian salad dressings, sauces and marinades. Remember to stick to lighter colored olive oils for roasting and pan frying.
- Use aromatics wisely: Garlic, capers, onions and olives can be used to easily release extra flavor into any Italian meal.
- Add a splash of balsamic: Adding a small amount of balsamic vinegar to your cooking instantly creates a more refined dish.
- Herb is the Word: Fresh parsley, basil, rosemary and sage will add Italian flair to any dish. Use these herbs to bring out the natural flavors of each ingredient in your recipe.
- Fruits & Veggies: Italian food incorporates plenty of fresh, seasonal produce. He recommends asparagus, grapes and lemons in the early spring, while zucchini, tomatoes and cherries are recommended during the summer months.
For a modern twist on an Italian favorite, watch the video recipe above and learn how to make Spiralized Butternut Squash with Italian Sausage Ragu, featuring house-made spiralized vegetable noodles and fresh store-stuffed Italian sausage.
Crave even more Italian? Be on the lookout for Balducci's Piazza Italia event on Saturday, April 8, for an artisan showcase of unique and specialty Italian products, directly from the producers themselves. Balducci's will host tastings, cooking demos and more. Buon Appetito!