Is your house full of "stuff?" Having a yard sale is a great way to clear the clutter from your home. Get the kids involved and turn it into a family event. You can even team up with neighbors and hold a Super Tag Sale.
• Pick a name. Yard, Garage or Tag sale tells people that you're clearing out unwanted items. Estate sale means that you're liquidating a house's contents. (Moving sale is pretty obvious.)
• Schedule your date ahead of time. This way you'll have time to advertise in your community.
• Avoid holiday weekends. You'll get fewer shoppers.
• Advertise, advertise and advertise some more. Make sure your signs are legible. They should include the sale's date, time and address. Don't forget to advertise online.
• Price items realistically and be prepared to bargain. Use colored sticky dots to price everything (e.g., green = $10, red = $15) and hang up a chart with the color code. Set up 50 cents, $1 and $5 dollar tables or boxes for smaller items.
• Create an attractive display. Use folding tables so people don't have to root around on the ground. Hang clothes on a rack. Put a chair near the shoes so people can sit down to try them on. Placing furniture or children's toys near the street is a good way to draw in the crowds.
• Make sure you have plenty of change. You'll need a calculator and a cash box, as well as bags for customers' purchases.
• Keep your fingers crossed for good weather, but have a covered space set up in case of summer showers.
Have you ever had a yard sale? Would you do it again? Please leave a comment below.