FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. — As part of a daylong statewide celebration of all things Connecticut, more than 200 attractions across the Nutmeg State will throw open their doors for free or discounted visits on Saturday.
The event — Connecticut Open House Day — is a great way to discover something new in Connecticut or to rediscover an old favorite.
Here is a town-by-town list of Fairfield County attractions that are participating, (Click on the name for its website):
- Bethel Historical Society : Free admission noon until 5 p.m., with a presentation by Bethel’s town historian.
- Barnum Museum : Free admission from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m., along with free Barnum bookmarks, Barnum-blend coffee tasting, guided tours and post cards.
- Bijou Theatre : Free dance performance by the New England Ballet Company from noon until 2 p.m.
- Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo : Open from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m., offering half price off admission for the first 100 guests.
- New England Ballet Company : Free tours of the studio at 130 Elm St., from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m. At 1 p.m., enjoy an open performance at the historic Bijou Theater (above).
- Brookfield Craft Center: Free reception from 5 until 8 p.m., featuring “Home and Away: The Photography of Colin Harrison.”
- Brookfield Theatre for the Arts: At 10 a.m., baseball games with the cast and crew of “Damn Yankees.” At 2 p.m., join the improv team “17 Debacles” in improv games and rehearsal. At 7 p.m., learn a new holiday song from the “Christmas in July” event.
- Art & Frame of Danbury : Gallery open from 10 a.m. until 7 p.m., with an opening of “Spring into Summer,” featuring live music, hors d’oeuvres, wine and beer, from 5 to 7 p.m.
- Danbury Museum & Historical Society : Free admission from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m.
- Gallery at Still River Editions : Open from noon until 5 p.m., with opening reception for the exhibit, “Connecticut: Morning, Noon & Night;” with light refreshments, art and conversation.
- Greenwich Historical Society : Free admission from noon until 4 p.m. Program features “The Doubtful Sprout,” a performance by Liz Joyce and a Couple of Puppets at 1 p.m. Make your own puppet throughout the day, visit the “Jim and Jane Henson: Creative Work, Creative Play” exhibit; take tours of the historic site at 1, 2 and 3 p.m.
- Connecticut Audubon Society Center at Fairfield : Open from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. Enjoy a free program on birds at 10:30 a.m., along with a walk in the sanctuary.
- Fairfield Museum and History Center : Free admission from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m.
- Fairfield University Art Museum : Open from noon until 4 p.m., offering a free notecard and envelope.
- Ogden House & Garden : Free admission from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m.
- EverWonder Children’s Museum : Half off admission from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m.
- Lockwood-Mathews Mansion Museum : Open from noon until 4 p.m. with reduced admission along with mini-tours
- Mill Hill Historical Park : Free admission from noon until 5:30 p.m.
- Norwalk Arts Commission : Docent led tour of Norwalk’s WPA murals depicting the city’s oyster industry, paired with a boat ride out to view the oyster beds in Norwalk Harbor. $10 per person and limited to 30 people. 8:30 a.m. until noon.
- Pedego SoNo : Pay for one hour electric bike rental and receive one hour free, from 10 a.m. until 6 p.m.
- Aldrich Contemporary Art Museum : Free admission from noon until 5 p.m.
- Shelton Historical Society : Free admission from 110:30 a.m. until 2:30 p.m.
- SportsCenter of Connecticut : One free activity per person from 9:30 a.m. until 10 p.m.
- Northrop House & Old Store : Open from noon until 4 p.m., with free light refreshments.
- Showroom at Mellow Monkey : Open from 10 a.m. until 8 p.m. Free set of two beach signs to the first 100 visitors. All visitors receive a 25% discount off any one item
- Stratford Historical Society : Free admission from noon until 3 p.m.
- Westport Historical Society : Open 10 a.m. until 4 p.m., offering 10% discount on items in the gift shop
For the full list for the entire state, click here .