GREENWICH, Conn. -- A documentary that tells the story of a Greenwich native who died after consuming a massive amount of alcohol during a college initiation a decade ago will be shown Thursday in Greenwich.
"HAZE" will begin at 7:30 p.m. in the Town Hall Meeting Room. The showing will include a panel of local experts who will share their opinions and recommendations on what can be done about the problems of alcohol abuse.
“HAZE” tells the story of Greenwich native Lynn Gordon Bailey Jr., known as "Gordie," who died of alcohol poisoning in the Chi Psi fraternity house just two weeks after arriving at the University of Colorado campus in Boulder. He was found dead on the floor the morning after a party and .
The documentary weaves together a collection of interviews by national experts on the subject of alcohol abuse. “HAZE” is an educational tool that can spark conversations about the role of alcohol on campus, and motivate audience members to intervene in an alcohol emergency, according to information from the Gordie Foundation.
"Your job is to protect your children, and I'll always feel a certain responsibility and a certain sense that I let him down," his mother, Leslie Lanahan, says in the documentary.
"HAZE," the documentary film telling Gordie’s story and “connecting the dots” between college drinking and hazing, was produced in 2008 by The Gordie Foundation, a nonprofit founded "to provide today's young people with the skills to navigate the dangers of alcohol, binge drinking, peer pressure and hazing," according to its website. It was directed by Pete Schuermann.
Every year 1,700 young adults across the nation die as a result of binge drinking with another 100,000 who become victims of sexual assault and an additional 700,000 who are injured. Binge drinking, alcohol-laden hazing rituals, and rapid fire drinking games are a staple of college life.
The Greenwich Community Health Improvement Partnership is hosting the screening of documentary.